Saturday, March 11, 2017

My Kind of Bastard: Moon Knight


Catching Up with Moon Knight


I will let the issues of a series stack up for a couple of reasons. Sometimes I know it’s better for me so I can read it all together. Comic stories tend to have arcs that can feel conclusive; one ends as another starts…often in the same issue. This will be record of getting caught up all in one marathon session.

Marc Spector, aka Moon Knight is not a bastard born. He is an honorary bastard.

One of the reasons I like Moon Knight is that he is pretty unaffiliated. He's not an Avenger. He doesn't hang out with the X-men or the Inhumans. He does his own thing and you don't have to worry about team ups (generally). The big cross-over events that span so many books tend to skip over Moon Knight and it allows a certain kind of focus not enjoyed but other characters.

With Moon Knight's current run of which there are twelve issues published, I missed #9, which I got today. My family was running some errands and with the house to myself all I had to worry about was my dog sticking his face in my lap and licking the cover. I pulled out issues 10-12 as well as #8 and got to reading.

# 8. Re-read but a good idea. Moon Knight has three stories going on and it creates a nice sense of madness in which you’re never quite sure what’s real or going on. Issue nine is part 4 of 4.

#9 is part 4 of 4 but ends with the words “to be continued.” Some questions are answered (enough to call it part four) but I feel for the fans who had to wait a month for the next one, which might maybe possibly wrap it all up.

#10 starts off with a nice kick in the balls, so to speak. Part one of five. This is the third arc of this Moon Knight run but it’s all connected. It bodes well, though and so far I intend to see it through to the end.

#11 Death and Birth part two of five (arc 3)or is that III?))
More good writing and great artwork, a near perfect one-two combination of comic book execution. Marc’s battle for sanity, or at the least less insanity, continues in the overvoid in this chaotic but intelligible issue.

#12. There. I’m in the same boat as the rest of you. Two issues away from maybe possibly a conclusion? But, hey, it is a comic book. This issue nicely pushes the collection of the Marc and Moon Knights’ story forward with just a hint of a villain.

So there. I don't see why this run is broken into three different story arcs but what do I know? I wouldn't recommend starting this run anywhere but issue 1. There are some series you can jump into and pick up the story quickly within an issue or three. I feel like this would be hard with Moon Knight which continues to be one of my favorites.

No comments: