Friday, May 23, 2008

Have a GREAT Weekend

I woke up knowing something was off. It was in the light.

I wake up about the same time every morning. I have to have to burn some serious midnight oil and get deep into the a.m. hours to throw that wake up time off. The time does change, but it does so slowly. I don’t want to meet the person who hates daylight savings more than I.

The morning shadows were thicker than they should be. There was no wind roaring and no rain battering the windows. It was just cloudy enough to suggest it.

Driving to work, the cloud cover quickly thickened to a stormy blue-grey and rain began ending it’s fall on my windshield. If this were a Simpsons episode, there’d be an evil man flashing an overbite, hands steepled saying, “Eeeeexcellent.”

Sometimes the gloom brings me down. This storm brought no such despair. I smiled as the drizzle set in.

Here it is, almost a three day weekend with everyone trying to get ready to squeeze every possible minute of enjoyment from the allotted time and here comes the rain, wind on the tails of a cold front!

I’ll be stuck at home while Mrs. Bastard works. Laughing and playing my DS and savoring the misery while I can. And probably working on my drinking.

I know, I know, when you think it through, the bad weather is a burden on us humans as a whole. The hardcore people are still going to go out there and brave the rain and cold winds and will be bragging it up for most of the following four day work week.

And then the next week they’ll be at the office nursing their colds, sinus infections and god only knows what other else has been breeding between episodes of not finishing off antibiotics and by the second week of June my incubation will come to full fruition and it’ll be me cursing life.

But this weekend—it’ll be me warm, drunk and laughing. They say to pick your battles which is really just another way of saying pick your victories. It’s a win for the Bastard and I’m taking it.

2 comments:

lordofthemorning said...

Hear, hear and well said! Though, truth to tell, I'd like to be camping, but it's raining here too. So I'll join you on your drunken crusade to have a better time at home than those sheep compelled to recreate in foul weather.

The Bastard Himself said...

The drunker the better!