Monday, May 23, 2016

Busy as a Bastard

"What have you been doing all this time, Bastard?" asks no one, ever.

For employment I've been working at a boarding school for almost six years. Sometime in early June it'll be six years even. I joke about tracking down my exact hire date and then quitting the day after word. I'd call the ensuing book Six Years and a Day: My Life with Their Kids.

Catchy, no?

I've also recently gotten a second job at a bar. I am a bar-back. I have the pleasure of cooking food (using the term loosely), fetching new liquor bottles, slicing limes on the fly and of course--I wash the dishes. "Bar-back" is often "synonymous with "bar-bitch."

I stroll in around 7p. If it's busy enough--and it usually is, I walk out with the bartender and the closing bouncer. This means every Thursday night I go home knowing I have to be to work at 7a. Well, 7ish--I run the shift and my staff know what I signed up for and though it was quite willingly they cut me slack and don't say anything if they don't see me until fifteen after the hour. I've never let the shift suffer because I'm tired.

It's more than safe to say I've been collecting stories I hope to share and I have to say bouncing from one social institution to the next is quite the contrast. I don't mind going from "Don't ever say fuck!" to "Could you say 'fuck' more? You're making us fucking uncomfortable."

No comments: